- Users can now log catches with their voice, rather than manually inputting details
- AI-powered Fishbrain BiteTime™ shows anglers the best time of day or night to catch particular species of fish, accessible with a glance of the wrist
- Fishbrain is available on the Casio Pro Trek WSD-F30 and other wearable devices powered by WearOS
Fishbrain, the world’s most popular social network for anglers with eight million users worldwide, today unveils significant updates to its WearOS app, with Google Assistant integration enabling anglers to log catches with their voice. Available as a featured app on the Casio Pro Trek WSD-F30, Fishbrain is also introducing BiteTime™, the world’s most advanced machine learning-powered fishing forecast, to a smartwatch for the very first time, providing premium users with cutting-edge analytical data, accessible on their wrist.
The updated Fishbrain WearOS app is a joint development between Fishbrain and Casio, with its functions being optimized for Casio devices that are designed to operate in widely varied environments, meeting users’ toughest outdoor needs. The new features require limited input from the user, reducing the need for them to take their phone out of their pocket or bag during a fishing trip.
Key features include:
- Voice logging – utilizing Google Assistant, users can simply say “log catch”, and specify species, height and weight, and whether it was a catch and release (whereby a fish is put back in the water once it’s caught). The catch will then be uploaded to Fishbrain (as there will be no image it will only appear in the user’s profile and will remain hidden from their feed). After the fishing trip, they can see how many fish they caught and the exact catch positions, in turn aiding with the planning of their next fishing trip.
- Fishbrain BiteTime™, the world’s most advanced machine learning fishing forecast – provides premium users with data-driven insights on the best time to catch particular species of fish, making it easier than ever to land their dream catch. This information can be shown either as graphs inside the watch interface, or received verbally, for example: “The best time to catch striped bass in Pillar Point Harbor, California, is 2am”. Fishbrain BiteTime™ analyzes data from the 5.4 million catches already logged on the app and over 30 geographical attributes (including sun altitude, moon phase, temperature, air pressure, wind speed etc.).
- Weather summary – users can access localized information, such as the time until sunset/sunrise, wind direction and speed, as well as tide rise and fall, in any given area.
- Location tracker – users can view their exact catch locations on an interactive map, while those with Premium can also see other users’ catch locations (only if they have been made public).
Fishbrain for WearOS gives anglers the ability to check local fishing maps, catch locations and more with just a tap on their wrist. The app’s interactive map helps anglers find hot new fishing spots.
Johan Attby, Fishbrain CEO and founder, comments: “By allowing users to log catches with their voice they can focus solely on the task at hand, landing that dream catch! The introduction of Fishbrain BiteTime™, meanwhile, enables them to digest accurate forecast data. Fishbrain is a perfect match for wearable devices such as the Casio Pro Trek WSD-F30, because often when you’re out on the water you aren’t able to pull out your smartphone, so by having such sophisticated technology on your wrist you are able to fish smarter, not harder.”
Austin Kazami, Senior Sales and Marketing Manager at Casio Smartwatch, adds: “Casio is delighted to be a partner of Fishbrain, and we are very excited to see the new enhancements on Fishbrain for Wear OS, with voice logging, a machine learning-powered BiteTime forecast, and easier map access all being implemented. With this update, Fishbrain is further demonstrating why for adventurous types the Casio Pro Trek WSD-F30 represents a much more practical alternative to a smartphone.”
Fishbrain is the world’s most popular mobile app and social network for people who love to fish. Bringing fishing into the digital age, the free-to-use app, with eight million users worldwide, helps create the best possible fishing experience by providing everyone – whether beginner or pro – with the tools, insights, and support to fully enjoy the world’s most popular sport.
Fishbrain, twice named by WIRED as one of Europe’s Hottest Startups, was founded in Stockholm in 2012, with the app launching in 2013. The startup has fostered a passionate and collaborative community, by helping them take their technique to the next level, arming them with the tools and gear needed to succeed.
In March 2018, Fishbrain raised a $13.5 million Series B round led by B Capital Group (set up by Facebook co-founder Eduardo Saverin) with participation from SoftBank Ventures Korea and existing investors Northzone and Industrifonden. Fishbrain has to-date raised $28 million.
Fishbrain CEO Johan Attby has worked in Silicon Valley and Boston, but is now based in Stockholm, Sweden. He is an experienced serial entrepreneur and previously founded Tific, a software company which was acquired by technology services solutions company PlumChoice Inc in 2011.
Fishbrain currently employs over 70 people and is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden.